- Children suffer from deficiencies in public schools - our after-school programs support the physical, mental, intellectual, and spiritual development of youth
- When low-income children regularly participate in after-school programs, they improve their standardized test scores and work habits.
- Children who participate in after-school are half as likely to start using drugs or skip school
- Youth who do not participate in after-school programs are 3 times more likely to abuse drugs and alcohol than those who do.
- In neighborhoods where after-school is offered, juvenile crime drops as much as 10% and juvenile drug activity drops as much as 22%
- 3 locations in DC public schools
- 2 locations in NE and SE DC community rooms
- Operates each day school is in session
- Children ages 5-12
- Snack and dinner
- Homework help
- Academic skills building
- Hands-on projects in subjects like science
- Computer-based learning
- Recreation and fitness
- Field trips on weekends and holidays
- Free of charge
in SE and
NE DC Neighborhoods
Kids in underserved neighborhoods desperately need homework help and fun, engaging learning activities during those critical 3-6 pm hours of the day. We combine these with snacks/meal, field trips, and positive adult role models to create truly holistic programs, based in community rooms and centers.
With secondary subjects virtually eliminated from the school day, the only chance children have to learn science is in after-school. Our science clubs open their minds to the world of STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) subjects, and the high-pay, high-growth careers associated with them. Click here for more information.