March 26th, 2013
Summer Program Wish List
City Gate is preparing for our summer programs. We need donations of goods such as clothing, food, or educational and office supplies. Below is our wish list.
If you would like to donate any of these items, please contact us at (202) 237-1799 or email us at email@example.com.
Board games/educational games, computers, computer speakers, construction paper, scissors and glue, rulers, lined paper, folders, smocks, easels, paint brushes/paint, modeling clay/Play doh, craft materials, musical instruments, copy paper, educational software, sports equipment, Children’s DVD’s, Yarn, Knitting/crochet needles, Children’s books, and notebooks.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE OUR HERO!!!
* Mini van or a 12 or 15 passenger van
* New computers, Ipads, LCD Projectors, Flat Screen Monitors
* Freestanding basketball hoop
* Football equipment
* Digital cameras
December 19th, 2012
• City Gate expanded, for the first time, outside of DC, opening two new sites in low income neighborhoods in Prince George’s County, MD. We also provided events and services in a subsidized housing complex in Baltimore in anticipation of adding it as a ministry site.
• With new locations also starting in DC, City Gate now serves approximately 400 children and youth, plus family participants, at a dozen sites, and serves over 15,000 meals to kids in our out-of-school programs.
• City Gate was awarded a 21st Century Community Learning Center Grant, providing new resources for expanding programs that we have been running for the last decade in Southeast DC
• In partnership with community and church partners, City Gate helped families in need with donations of food and clothing, as well as gifts and food baskets over the holidays. 80 turkeys were distributed at Thanksgiving. In partnership with Samaritans Feet, City Gate also helped distributing nearly a thousand free shoes to children and youth at special events in July and November.
• City Gate deployed 800 volunteers during the 4 -day national American Baptist Immerse conference here in DC during July. Major community events were conducted over two days at 5 sites, with total participation of approximately 2000 volunteers and community residents.
• In addition to continuing to work directly with mission groups (arranging housing and meals as well as ministry opportunities), we expanded our Urban Hands program during 2012 to also work with other groups through Passport, Mission Serve, and TeamEffort. Counting the Immerse conference, approximately 2000 volunteers and scores of churches engaged in hands on mission opportunities.
• YOU can help us continue these ministries and more in 2013!
June 13th, 2012
Our site is currently under construction although we still have a lot of great information on the site, we would direct you to our Facebook page (search for CityGateDC or click the link at the bottom of this page) for up to date information on current happenings this summer! Track urban hands groups, and all other CG programs on our Facebook page! Like us today!
April 26th, 2012
We wanted to let all of you know the exciting things that are continuing to go on at City Gate! The biggest news deals with 3 new after school time programs. The first site is at Avalon in Southeast. The other two sites are in Prince George’s county at Overland Gardens and Alafia Baptist Church. All three programs will be up and running by the end of the month! City gate continues to expand and grow, thank you for your support!
March 17th, 2011
Our mission is one of opening doors of opportunity and building bridges of understanding. Whether providing free out-of-school time programs for kids in public housing, or running a language immersion preschool in Northwest DC, or working with Urban Hands groups from across the country – we are committed to education, empowerment, and building community.
City Gate is best known for excellent out-of-school time programs for underserved children and youth in the District of Columbia. Free after school and summer day camps are provided at public schools, a community center, and community rooms in public housing. Daily meals are provided at several sites, along with parenting and adult education programs. Detailed information is available on this website, or by contacting us directly.
City Gate also operates the Caterpillar Preschool, a Spanish and French language immersion program located at Tenley Circle. There are still openings for Fall 2013.
Summer – The Caterpillar Preschool and our Tenley Circle camps (ages 6-11) offer a variety of fun, educational, and affordable summer programs, with enrollment- beginning in March. As always, City Gate will be providing free summer day camps at several locations in Wards 7 and 8.
If you are one of the hundreds of Urban Hands volunteers who have worked with us during the past ten years, please go to our Urban Hands page to share a comment or picture with us, and to check out current opportunities. Your pictures and memories are a great way to celebrate the difference that 500 groups from 35 different states have made in our city and lives of hundreds of kids during our first decade!
To learn more about Urban Hands click here.